- 1A boiled or deep-fried dumpling.More example sentences
- He had a doughboy (fried dough sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon) and recommended the place (he's seven).
- 2US • informal A US infantryman, especially one in World War I.[said to have been a term applied in the Civil War to the large globular brass buttons on the infantry uniform; also said to derive from the use of pipeclay 'dough' to clean the white belts worn by infantrymen]More example sentences
- Like the ubiquitous Union infantry, Southern rebels, and World War I doughboys found in dozens of cities and towns throughout the United States, Toy Soldier is a production-line memorial ready to take his place in a long line of statues.
- Writers unmercifully poked fun at the mass-produced Civil War statues on their nearly identical plinths, or World War I doughboys standing awkwardly in town squares.
- I still believe today's infantrymen could learn from the WWI doughboys.
More definitions of doughboyDefinition of doughboy in:
- The British & World English dictionary