- A strong downward current of air from a cumulonimbus cloud, usually associated with intense rain or a thunderstorm.More example sentences
- Waterspouts are basically tornadoes that are over water, and downbursts are violent gusts of winds blowing directly downwards from the storm cloud.
- A HP (high precipitation) super-cell produces very heavy rains, large hail, downbursts and tornadoes.
- Three categories of winds have been defined, as well: downdrafts, downbursts (also called macrobursts) and microbursts.
More definitions of downburstDefinition of downburst in:
- The British & World English dictionary