- 1A person who drives a vehicle: a taxi driver student driversMore example sentences
- He proposed the council give incentives to taxi drivers to convert their vehicles to liquefied petroleum gas, which is much cleaner.
- The arrests came after the police received reports that a gang of youths were allegedly hurling racist abuse at taxi drivers and damaging vehicles.
- If he's a student, a daily driver probably drives a vehicle that used to belong to his parents.
- 1.1A person who drives a specified kind of animal: mule driversMore example sentences
- Urged on by the players, the drivers of the mules took some frightening risks.
- The driver whistled to the mules and they slowed to a steady walk.
- He strode boldly up the bank towards the mule driver and tipped his hat.
- 2A wheel or other part in a mechanism that receives power directly and transmits motion to other parts.More example sentences
- All the drivers and the trailing wheel down one side are to be equalized in one system, and the same down the other side, for the other two points.
- The internal receiving coil is connected to a receiver that provides electrical energy to the mechanical driver.
- Typically the cogenerator consists of an energy source, a mechanical driver and an electric generator.
- 2.1 Electronics A device or part of a circuit that provides power for output.More example sentences
- The output node of the gate driver is provided between the upper and lower transistors.
- In one typical environment, the learning programmable limit switch is connected to an output shaft of a driver.
- LSI has chosen to put the power amplifier for the line driver into the codec chip.
- 2.2 Computing A program that controls the operation of a device such as a printer or scanner.More example sentences
- It will include desktops and laptops, plus printers, scanners, CD-ROM drivers and software when bought in the same transaction as the computer.
- It is also working to add various hardware device drivers to the operating system.
- It means you can put exactly the same bundle of applications, drivers and operating system onto any machine and be certain there won't be problems.
- 3A factor that causes a particular phenomenon to happen or develop: the hope of achieving such monopolies becomes the main driver of investmentMore example sentences
- Falling global inflation and strong domestic growth were the main drivers of exceptional investment returns in the 1980s and 1990s.
- Business investment was again the main driver, along with net exports and housing.
- Tony Blair promised to be tough on the causes of crime but two of the main drivers of crime are alcohol and drugs.
- 4A golf club with a flat face and wooden head, used for driving from the tee.More example sentences
- If you hit 10 golf balls at the driving range with your driver, you'll improve by the eighth swing or so.
- I always use the same six clubs, working my way up from the sand wedge to the driver.
- Some of the greens were so steeply sloped that the ball didn't stop, and you had to get your driver out to putt it back uphill.
in the driver's seat
- In control of or dominating a situation: the tax issue is back in the driver’s seat of American politicsMore example sentences
- Nevertheless, he commends the President's approach for beginning to "put the consumer in the driver's seat."
- In many different respects, they just want a place in the driver's seat.
- Dan Moore is making plans to get back in the driver's seat.
- More example sentences
- After the first two murders, the shock and novelty value of the driverless car chasing and killing people wears out, and then the remaining murders stretch the film out beyond boredom point.
- A Japanese company used the driverless vehicles for a number of uses including grass cutting in areas which could be dangerous for workers or that were difficult to get to.
- Police are investigating why the driverless car started to move in the freak accident, which happened at 3pm on Wednesday.