Definition of drone fly in English:
A hoverfly that resembles a honeybee. Its larva is the rat-tailed maggot.
- Eristalis tenax, family Syrphidae
- Rat-tailed maggots are the larvae of the drone fly and, in order to pupate the larvae, look for a dry place and start migrating.
- The most common impostors are the syrphid flies: nectar-loving hover flies, drone flies and more.
- The drone fly was introduced into North America sometime prior to 1874.
Definition of drone fly in:
- British & World English dictionary