Definition of drosophila in English:
A small fruit fly, used extensively in genetic research because of its large chromosomes, numerous varieties, and rapid rate of reproduction.
- Genus Drosophila, family Drosophilidae: in particular D. melanogaster
- As early as the 1970s, population geneticists began to notice a peculiar characteristic among drosophila, the fast-breeding fruit fly on which most of our reproductive knowledge is based.
- While the smaller bacterial genomes can be tackled by direct sequencing, larger ones like that of drosophila or humans require the use of genetic markers.
- One of the most notorious examples, a module for control of eye formation that is common to drosophila, mice, and humans may stand as an emblem for laymen such as me, but it is a very small part of the story and may turn out to be atypical.
Words that rhyme with drosophilagrizzler • Polyfilla
Definition of drosophila in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.