Definition of dumb waiter in English:
1A small elevator for carrying things, especially food and dishes, between the floors of a building.
- A Venetian invention, a casino was a kind of bijou summerhouse specifically designed for illicit sex: the food was delivered by dumb waiter so no shenanigans could be observed.
- As they laze about the room, the two men engage in high-brow, seemingly irrelevant arguments, while being frequently interrupted by a dumb waiter - that is, a small elevator in the wall.
- A lift might be out of the question, but we might install a dumb waiter.
2British A movable table, typically with revolving shelves, used in a dining room.
- But officers on their return found mouse droppings near bins, on the floor, behind a freezer and under a steel table near the dumb waiter.
- In that country, too, there was a vogue for incorporating coasters in dumb waiters.
- The combination of Tudor and Thai works well - I particularly like the antique dumb waiter which faithfully delivers dish upon dish of steaming hot food.
Definition of dumb waiter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan