- 1A small elevator for carrying things, especially food and dishes, between the floors of a building.More example sentences
- A Venetian invention, a casino was a kind of bijou summerhouse specifically designed for illicit sex: the food was delivered by dumb waiter so no shenanigans could be observed.
- As they laze about the room, the two men engage in high-brow, seemingly irrelevant arguments, while being frequently interrupted by a dumb waiter - that is, a small elevator in the wall.
- A lift might be out of the question, but we might install a dumb waiter.
- 2British A movable table, typically with revolving shelves, used in a dining room.More example sentences
- But officers on their return found mouse droppings near bins, on the floor, behind a freezer and under a steel table near the dumb waiter.
- In that country, too, there was a vogue for incorporating coasters in dumb waiters.
- The combination of Tudor and Thai works well - I particularly like the antique dumb waiter which faithfully delivers dish upon dish of steaming hot food.
More definitions of dumb waiterDefinition of dumb waiter in:
- The British & World English dictionary