Definition of dumper in English:
1A person or thing that dumps something.
- He said 24-hour waste wardens should be empowered to impose on the spot fines on ‘the handful’ of illegal dumpers, saying they cannot be allowed to ride roughshod over the natural environment.
- The Government must bring in tougher fines and give waste control agencies powers to move quickly against rogue dumpers, the Environmental Protection Agency said yesterday.
- However, court fines to date have done little to deter such activity for the 100 illegal dumpers who have come before the district courts in recent years, with the average minimum fine being around €1,000.
1.1 (the dumper) informal Used in reference to a bad or unwanted state: his career’s in the dumper
More example sentences
- And about the eighth joke, we both knew this whole thing was going in the dumper, right?
- If nothing else, the renewed surge of equity markets around the globe as well as at home has put my bearish projections, which looked so sweet just three months ago, right in the dumper - temporarily at least.
- As the Colorado agricultural economy went in the dumper, his business partner misled him in ways he won't discuss.
1.2 (also dumper truck) British A dump truck.
- There is the impoverished Lake District farmer who had an answer to the question of what farmers like him could do: ‘Commit suicide,’ he said, ‘or drive a dumper.’
- Several alarmed residents reported the dumper heading from the Hull Road area through Tang Hall Lane and Fifth Avenue.
- A type of dump truck that has not become popular yet in North America is a big brother of what Europeans call the site dumper.
Words that rhyme with dumperbumper, gazumper, jumper, lumper, stumper, thumper
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.