(also Dumpster • trademark )
nounUS • trademark
- A large trash receptacle designed to be hoisted and emptied into a truck.More example sentences
- The part of the river we were cleaning was probably more used as a trash disposal than any dumpster was.
- She watched the other dogs eyes examine the place more, over the old chair, the fire escape, the long ago empty dumpster.
- It consisted of one mostly empty dumpster with feeble flames contesting with the northwestern drizzle.
1930s: originally Dempster Dumpster, proprietary name (based on dump) given by the American manufacturers, Dempster Brothers of Knoxville, Tennessee.
More definitions of dumpsterDefinition of dumpster in:
- The British & World English dictionary