Definition of dung beetle in English:
A beetle whose larvae feed on dung, especially a scarab. The larger kinds place the dung in a hole before the eggs are laid, and some of them roll it along in a ball.
- Superfamily Scarabaeoidea, in particular families Scarabaeidae and Geotrupidae
- Maya was intrigued and absolutely determined to see a dung beetle rolling a ball.
- My favorite scene features a dung beetle trying to roll a bit of dinner up a hill; a more Sisyphean struggle I haven't seen.
- The parrot, the mouse, the cockroach, and the dung beetle all have the same rights to life as human beings.
Definition of dung beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.