Definition of dung fly in English:
A hairy fly that lays its eggs in fresh dung.
- Families Scathophagidae and Sphaeroceridae: several species
- Apart from the spark of daphnia the trout's menu further ignites in May to include insects like the cow dung fly, hawthorn fly, mayfly and the more prolific olive and sedge hatches.
- Other flies found on the poultry establishment include soldier flies, small dung flies, fruit flies and rat-tailed maggots.
- The yellow dung fly, Scathophaga stercoraria (L.; Diptera: Scathophagidae; sometimes Scatophaga), occurs in north-temperate regions of the Old and the New World.
Definition of dung fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan