- An instrument that measures the power output of an engine.More example sentences
- First, under the testing conditions described, it is not possible for the dynamometer to measure the locomotive's maximum drawbar pull.
- Average flexion strength was 96% of the normal side, as measured with a dynamometer.
- Finally, the engine is connected to a dynamometer, which simulates actual driving conditions by varying the resistance against the spinning engine.
early 19th century: from French dynamomètre, from Greek dunamis 'power' + French -mètre '(instrument) measuring'.
More definitions of dynamometerDefinition of dynamometer in:
- The British & World English dictionary