- A run scored without the aid of errors by the team in the field (i.e., by hits, walks, and outs that advance base runners).More example sentences
- Personally, I tend to favor pitchers who throw more innings with fewer hits, earned runs, and home runs allowed while also striking out more batters.
- In a strange twist, Morris, who had pitched so brilliantly the year before, was roughed up for ten earned runs in 10.2 innings while pitching for Toronto.
- In his fourth start of the season last night, Weaver pitched five innings with no earned runs, allowing two hits and no walks against seven strikeouts.
More definitions of earned runDefinition of earned run in:
- The British & World English dictionary