Definition of earthen in English:
1(Of a floor or structure) made of compressed earth: the hillside adjacent to the earthen dam
More example sentences
- Without this mass of dams and earthen walls, the area would flood every spring just as Egypt's Nile Valley once did.
- She rocks rapidly from side to side, head turning and feet drumming upon the earthen floor while she beats a tambourine rattle.
- How long I sat there, on the earthen floor of the Council Chambers, starring blindly at Kinwell, I can not say.
1.1(Of a pot) made of baked or fired clay.
- From the humble earthen pot to fancy shapes in clay designed to appeal to the connoisseur… the fair seeks to impress from the word go.
- I take the earthen pot from the cabinet and fill it with water.
- Jars of spices lined the shelves, with earthen pots full of flour and sugar.
1.2 literary Of, relating to, or characteristic of the earth or material existence.
Definition of earthen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.