Definition of earworm in English:
1 short for corn earworm.
- The earworm probably does not overwinter in Nebraska, although larvae have been collected here as early as April.
- Their optimism is rooted in laboratory and field trials showing higher earworm mortality rates and less ear damage in high-maysin corn than in nonmaysin corn.
- Maysin works by binding up certain proteins in the earworm's gut so that it cannot grow.
2 informal A catchy song or tune that runs continually through a person’s mind.
- For your listening pleasure, we present our all-time favorite Christmas earworm, "Last Christmas" by Wham!
- The conversation soon settled upon my earworm of the week: Tony Christie's newly re-released (Is This The Way To) Amarillo.
- And earworm attacks were more frequent - and lasted longer - for musicians and music lovers.
Definition of earworm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia