1 short for corn earworm.
- The earworm probably does not overwinter in Nebraska, although larvae have been collected here as early as April.
- Their optimism is rooted in laboratory and field trials showing higher earworm mortality rates and less ear damage in high-maysin corn than in nonmaysin corn.
- Maysin works by binding up certain proteins in the earworm's gut so that it cannot grow.
2 informal A catchy song or tune that runs continually through a person’s mind.
- For your listening pleasure, we present our all-time favorite Christmas earworm, "Last Christmas" by Wham!
- The conversation soon settled upon my earworm of the week: Tony Christie's newly re-released (Is This The Way To) Amarillo.
- And earworm attacks were more frequent - and lasted longer - for musicians and music lovers.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of earworm in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.