Definition of ebony in English:
1Heavy blackish or very dark brown timber from a mainly tropical tree.
- During Victorian times, the use of more exotic timbers like mahogany and ebony became popular, meaning trees were exported from Africa, Asia and the Americas.
- Its paleness escapes looking bland thanks to contrasting inlays of ebony, walnut and amboyna, a wood distinguished by bird's eye curls.
- Recorders are made from hardwoods such as maple, rosewood, or ebony as well as the plastic versions.
1.1A very dark brown or black color: his smile flashed against the ebony of his skin [as modifier]: his ebony hair
More example sentences
- Strangely though, the child has ebony black hair… darker than his mother's.
- Donna was probably the third most beautiful with her ebony black hair and dark, mysterious eyes.
- Even though all that could be seen of him was his light brown cloak, black scarf and icy ebony hair, the people staring at him had their shoulders tensed in hostility.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan