- A steroid hormone that controls molting in insects and other arthropods.More example sentences
- This checkpoint may be controlled by signaling through the steroid hormone ecdysone.
- Larval molting in Drosophila, as in other insects, is initiated by the coordinated release of the steroid hormone ecdysone, in response to neural signals, at precise stages during development.
- A pulse of the steroid hormone ecdysone at the onset of metamorphosis triggers the rapid transformation of a flat leg imaginal disc into an immature adult leg, largely through coordinated changes in cell shape.
1950s: from Greek ekdusis 'shedding' + -one.
More definitions of ecdysoneDefinition of ecdysone in:
- The British & World English dictionary