Definition of echidna in English:
A spiny insectivorous egg-laying mammal with a long snout and claws, native to Australia and New Guinea. Also called spiny anteater.
- Family Tachyglossidae, order Monotremata: two genera and species, in particular Tachyglossus aculeatus
- The platypus and the echidna - a nocturnal, burrowing mammal with a spiny coat, long claws, and no teeth - are the only known living members of a type of animal known as monotremes.
- These exotic egg-laying animals are represented by just three species: the duck-billed platypus and two echidnas.
- Unlike platypuses, echidnas lack webbing and instead have large, shovel-like claws are present on all feet.
Definition of echidna in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia