A spiny insectivorous egg-laying mammal with a long snout and claws, native to Australia and New Guinea. Also called spiny anteater.
- Family Tachyglossidae, order Monotremata: two genera and species, in particular Tachyglossus aculeatus
More example sentences
- The platypus and the echidna - a nocturnal, burrowing mammal with a spiny coat, long claws, and no teeth - are the only known living members of a type of animal known as monotremes.
- These exotic egg-laying animals are represented by just three species: the duck-billed platypus and two echidnas.
- Unlike platypuses, echidnas lack webbing and instead have large, shovel-like claws are present on all feet.
Definition of echidna in:
- The British & World English dictionary