A device for determining the depth of the seabed or detecting objects in water by measuring the time taken for sound echoes to return to the listener.
More example sentences
- As the low, green islands began to take shape, the echo sounder, which had been showing the same number all morning, came alarmingly to life, going from 15 feet to nearly zero in a few seconds.
- At 12:56 P.M. a signal registered on the paper scrolling through the echo sounder.
- The amount of methane bubbles rising from the bottom of Lake Kinneret was quantified by using a dual-beam echo sounder.
echo sounding (also echo-sounding)
- More example sentences
- And yet echo-sounding maps of submarine topography continued to accumulate.
- Discouraged, he abandoned his attempts and for the rest of the nineteenth century the echo-sounding technique was forgotten.
- The seismic reflection technique is rather akin to echo-sounding.
More definitions of echo sounderDefinition of echo sounder in:
- The British & World English dictionary