A region of transition between two biological communities.
More example sentences
- Belt transects or strip transects have traditionally been used to study transitions between community types, such as the ecotone between a forested community and the grassy vegetation in a forest opening.
- Tigers thrive in the areas known as ecotones that exist between cultivation and dense forest.
- The apparent importance of ecotones in defining habitat quality for Northern Spotted Owls in northwestern California is based on long-term observational data.
- More example sentences
- A major characteristic of barrens is the presence of many herbaceous species typical of tallgrass prairie and ecotonal habitats intermediate between prairie and forest.
- Based on the habitat preference of associated species R. eastmanii prefers the ecotonal habitat between the wet floodplains and the dry uplands.
- Angaraland equisetopsids are very diverse, especially in the Subangaraland ecotonal belt.
Definition of ecotone in:
- The British & World English dictionary