Definition of ecstatic in English:
1Feeling or expressing overwhelming happiness or joyful excitement: ecstatic fans filled the stadium
More example sentences
- When my eyes finally adjusted I was ecstatic with happiness.
- Here's how ecstatic Boston fans got the news from their morning paper.
- But I hoped he felt the same as I had, ecstatic and bubbling with happiness.
enraptured, elated, in raptures, euphoric, rapturous, joyful, overjoyed, blissful;
on cloud nine, in seventh heaven, beside oneself with joy, jumping for joy, delighted, thrilled, exultant
informal over the moon, on top of the world, blissed out
2Involving an experience of mystic self-transcendence: an ecstatic vision
More example sentences
- Religion has always provided some kind of ecstatic experience.
- Are the people who experience ecstatic religious states just having a really good trip?
- Much of Sufism seems to be focused on trying to raise up that higher self, the ecstatic experience in which you are in union with God.
nounBack to top
A person subject to mystical experiences.
- Intransigent towards ecstatics, sarcastic towards Catholics, intractable towards heretics, Calvinism participated unwittingly in the disenchantment of the world.
- This interp was profoundly influenced by the fear elicited by the Thugi ecstatics, who represented only a small and twisted offshooting of Tantra and the worship of Ma, but is now presented as the whole of it.
- A song by the American rap group Cypress Hill accompanied an exquisitely edited video - this was the artist's first excursion into the medium - of a belly dancer and Sufi ecstatics dancing at a moulid (religious celebration).
- Example sentences
- Even ordinary encounters are described ecstatically.
- When popular folk memory was matched with the images, some historians ecstatically claimed they had cracked the riddle of the revered river.
- The crowd cheered ecstatically as one man, being thrown about wildly atop the fence, used his weight to assist those below rocking the massive concrete blocks and chain link.
Words that rhyme with ecstaticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.