Definition of edaphosaur in English:
A large herbivorous synapsid reptile of the late Carboniferous and early Permian periods, with long knobbly spines on its back supporting a sail-like crest.
- Genus Edaphosaurus, order Pelycosuria, subclass Synapsida
- Along with the Diadectidae, Edaphosaurus is one of the earliest known plant-eating tetrapods (land-living vertebrates).
- Other Edaphosauruses were not so large and some were half a meter or less in length.
- 1edaphosaurian adjective
- Example sentences
- The skull is edaphosaurian in its general outline and in its small size in proportion to allover body size.
- The first herbivorous land vertebrates were large (3 to 4 m long) diadectid brachiosaur amphibians and edaphosaurian pelycosaur reptiles.
Modern Latin, from Greek edaphos 'floor' + sauros 'lizard'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.