Fit to be eaten (often used to contrast with unpalatable or poisonous examples): nasturtium seeds are edible
More example sentences
- Certainly there is a corollary to this in the world of edible plants, where poisonous plants tend to be bitter, while edible plants and berries tend to be sweet.
- This applies mostly to the larger edible variety, which are a delicacy for a number of households, both urban and rural.
- Since he didn't wish to lose time by hunting, he searched for edible roots and berries.
safe to eat, fit for human consumption, wholesome, good to eat;
consumable, digestible, palatable
Items of food.
- It was the signal for us to assemble in his bailiwick, where we would find a waiting cornucopia of edibles: apples, oranges, candy, dried fruits, nuts, cookies, soft drinks.
- Heinz makes ketchup, pizza crust, baby cereal and other edibles in such countries as Poland, Venezuela, Botswana, Thailand, and most of all, China and India.
- Generous and hospitable to a fault, he does not forget to bring in all kinds of edibles, from fruits to biscuits and cereals.
- Example sentences
- The edibility of a planet's plant life is one of the factors of habitability.
- The approach that a conservator takes depends on whether the artist judges it more important to preserve the work's appearance or remain true to chocolate's basic edibility.
- Although fruit color is sometimes a conspicuous signal of edibility, I found no overall correlation between chromatic signals and sugar content.
Late 16th century: from late Latin edibilis, from Latin edere 'eat'.
Words that rhyme with ediblecredible
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.