Definition of effluence in English:
1A substance that flows out from something.
- Big cities and towns such as Sofia and Stara Zagora are the main culprits - they don't have adequate water treatment facilities and often outflow their effluence into small rivers with very little dilution.
- While we treat 80,000 cubic meters of effluence, the company has capacity to treat only half of the effluence.
- Sir Joseph Bazalgette's solution helped solve the problem with his 82-mile system of tunnels and pumping stations to cope with the effluence.
1.1The action of flowing out.
- It is a continuous process, like the effluence of light from a lamp.
- They tend to prove the simultaneous affluence and effluence of the electric matter, a doctrine long since espoused, and very well supported by our author.
Definition of effluence in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.