- 1The flowing out of a particular substance or particle.More example sentences
- For the first category of compounds, it is the cell wall, together with the outer membrane and associated proteins, which presents a potential barrier to influx and efflux of chemical compounds.
- The first step in this process is calcium ion efflux from the cells.
- The scary aspect of this is that calcium ion efflux occurs at intensities and field strengths that are extremely low.
- 1.1Material flowing out.More example sentences
- Together, these findings are consistent with the current being carried by a burst of Cl - efflux through Cl - permeable channels that activate almost simultaneously.
- Diverse mechanisms may be responsible for the development of resistance for Cr in microbes, including chromate efflux 85.
- So, by such a transport inhibition of ketone body efflux from the liver, the brain is deprived of those energetic compounds leading to lower BDH activity.
- 1.2 another term for effluxion ( sense 1).
mid 16th century: from medieval Latin effluxus, from effluere 'flow out'.
More definitions of effluxDefinition of efflux in:
- The British & World English dictionary