Definition of effulgent in English:
1Shining brightly; radiant.
- Even in this instance, it shined through like the effulgent, yet blinding sun, eminently spreading the glow into the unsuspecting eyes of a person not protected by the shade of the trees.
- In the night sky, nothing is brighter and more effulgent than the moon.
- He who meditates becomes united with the effulgent Sun.
1.1(Of a person or their expression) emanating joy or goodness.
- He inhabits one of those effulgent personalities that transcends whatever it is he is supposed to be doing, along with an ebullient fan base and a well-promoted ordinary blokiness that charms men and mums alike.
- When I succeeded Archbishop Tutu many questions were being asked as to how this relatively unknown young man was going to fill the shoes of such an effulgent personality.
- People used to explain me as an effulgent person.
mid 18th century: from Latin effulgent- 'shining brightly', from the verb effulgere, from ex- 'out' + fulgere 'to shine'.
- Example sentences
- It is not surprising that the majority of authors represented here experienced some form of exile during their lives, a radical disruption from the norm that allowed the effulgence of the black light to illuminate their work.
- There was also light, an effulgence of light reverberating through every aspect of my being.
- Her body seemed smaller in the sudden effulgence.
- Example sentences
- Much of this is highly entertaining, and the anachronistic one-liners are sometimes wonderful, sometimes effulgently absurd.
- The Lord shines effulgently in the universe, so also the universe shines in the Lord.
- As I told you in the beginning, God shines effulgently in the universe.
Definition of effulgent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan