1Expressing feelings of gratitude, pleasure, or approval in an unrestrained or heartfelt manner: an effusive welcome
More example sentences
- My approach is to rarely ask him for anything if I can at all help it, since his granting of a favour requires about 3-5 years of effusive gratitude and grovelling.
- No prizes, I'm afraid, but you'll have my most effusive gratitude.
- The conductor, short, chubby, curly-haired and Puckish, has been effusive in his welcome.
gushing, gushy, unrestrained, extravagant, fulsome, demonstrative, lavish, enthusiastic, lyrical;
expansive, wordy, verbose, over the top
2 Geology (Of igneous rock) poured out when molten and later solidified.
- The subalkaline character of the magmatic activity, combined with the prevalence of acidic effusive rocks, is characteristic of an orogenic suite developed on continental crust.
- If the mafic sheets were effusive and associated with primary volcaniclastic rocks, they should have contributed detritus to any immediately overlying sediments.
- The cooling of the effusive rocks takes place in two stages
2.1Relating to the eruption of large volumes of molten rock.
- Volcanic activity at Mount Etna has been characterized by several effusive eruptions in the last 30 years.
- Since the adoption of the exhalative model for the mineralization, the host succession has been interpreted as a dominantly effusive, and explosively eruptive, volcanic pile.
- The nature of the degassing process within a volcanic edifice is critically important to the nature of eruptions, whether explosive or effusive, from the volcano.
- Example sentences
- He speaks effusively about his children, his garden, his life-saving triple heart bypass operation in 1992, which ‘changed’ him.
- By now we're also well versed in the sociability of the canal, greeting fellow boaters effusively and chatting with passers-by at locks, where we are often the main attraction.
- Both were seen effusively greeting each other.
- Example sentences
- Her natural effusiveness and love of writing - she reads about six books at a time - make her an irresistible bookseller.
- The doctor, who was not known for his effusiveness said simply, ‘You won't have any problems,’ and that was it.
- He is a quietly-spoken individual off the park, not given to effusiveness or hyperbole.
Pronunciation: /əˈfyo͞osəvlē/ Pronunciation: /ēˈfyo͞osəvlē/ Pronunciation: /əˈfyo͞ozəvlē/ Pronunciation: /ēˈfyo͞ozəvlē/adverb
Pronunciation: /əˈfyo͞osivnis/ Pronunciation: /ēˈfyo͞osivnis/ Pronunciation: /əˈfyo͞ozivnis/ Pronunciation: /ēˈfyo͞ozivnis/noun
Words that rhyme with effusiveabusive, allusive, collusive, conclusive, conducive, delusive, diffusive, elusive, exclusive, illusive, inclusive, intrusive, obtrusive, preclusive, reclusive, seclusive
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.