1The large egg-shaped fruit of an Old World plant, eaten as a vegetable. Its skin is typically dark purple, but the skin of certain cultivated varieties is white or yellow.
- Dip vegetables such as eggplant, fennel, peppers, and even big portobello mushrooms in oil-enriched egg whites, then in seasoned crumbs, and bake in the oven until crusty.
- Try any combination of marinated vegetables such as sliced sweet peppers, snow peas, mushrooms, onion, eggplant, fennel, tomatoes and zucchini.
- There's an agreeably balanced salad of grilled eggplant, tomato, spinach, and chèvre.
1.1A dark purple color like the skin of the eggplant.
- I hope this won't mean that in the future when I listen to the show I'll think about housepainting… or maybe just see the color eggplant in my mind's eye.
- I was, however, worried about the imminent explosion of his head, as he had successively grown redder in the face, ending the opera in the astounding color of eggplant.
- I can also buy a taupe colored cashmere chair slipcover… if I use aubergine to dye that, will the color come out as dark purple, plum, or eggplant?
2The large plant of the nightshade family that bears the eggplant fruit.
- Solanum melongena, family Solanaceae
- Look for varieties of peppers, eggplant, and okra that are resistant to wilts and other diseases.
- Follow in mid-February with the main-crop brassicas: peppers, eggplants, lettuce, celery, leeks and a few early tomatoes.
- Some of them also work on mite or thrips outbreaks on roses, strawberries, fruit trees, cucurbits, eggplant and other garden plants.
Definition of eggplant in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.