Definition of eggplant in English:
1The large egg-shaped fruit of an Old World plant, eaten as a vegetable. Its skin is typically dark purple, but the skin of certain cultivated varieties is white or yellow.
- Dip vegetables such as eggplant, fennel, peppers, and even big portobello mushrooms in oil-enriched egg whites, then in seasoned crumbs, and bake in the oven until crusty.
- Try any combination of marinated vegetables such as sliced sweet peppers, snow peas, mushrooms, onion, eggplant, fennel, tomatoes and zucchini.
- There's an agreeably balanced salad of grilled eggplant, tomato, spinach, and chèvre.
1.1A dark purple color like the skin of the eggplant.
- I hope this won't mean that in the future when I listen to the show I'll think about housepainting… or maybe just see the color eggplant in my mind's eye.
- I was, however, worried about the imminent explosion of his head, as he had successively grown redder in the face, ending the opera in the astounding color of eggplant.
- I can also buy a taupe colored cashmere chair slipcover… if I use aubergine to dye that, will the color come out as dark purple, plum, or eggplant?
2The large plant of the nightshade family that bears the eggplant fruit.
- Solanum melongena, family Solanaceae
- Look for varieties of peppers, eggplant, and okra that are resistant to wilts and other diseases.
- Follow in mid-February with the main-crop brassicas: peppers, eggplants, lettuce, celery, leeks and a few early tomatoes.
- Some of them also work on mite or thrips outbreaks on roses, strawberries, fruit trees, cucurbits, eggplant and other garden plants.
Words that rhyme with eggplantplainchant • ashplant
Definition of eggplant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan