Definition of eigenvalue in English:
nounMathematics & Physics
1Each of a set of values of a parameter for which a differential equation has a nonzero solution (an eigenfunction) under given conditions.
- He showed that in this case the integral equation had real eigenvalues, and the solutions corresponding to these eigenvalues he called eigenfunctions.
- It was a matter of estimating eigenvalues of non-self-adjoint differential equations and matrices.
- In a very natural way, concepts of linear algebra, including eigenvalues and eigenvectors, appear.
2Any number such that a given matrix minus that number times the identity matrix has a zero determinant.
- In particular he proved results on the existence of matrices with given eigenvalues and given diagonal elements.
- This is where those eigenvalues of random Hermitian matrices enter the picture.
- The eigenvalue effective population size, equal to the leading eigenvalue of this matrix is derived.
Definition of eigenvalue in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.