- 1Equivalent to the product of two and four; one more than seven, or two less than ten; 8: a committee of eight members eight were acquitted eight of them were unemployed (Roman numeral: viii or VIII)More example sentences
- Even though there are four to eight members on each panel, only three of them vote on each record.
- They form a committee of eight members, and I personally have nothing to do.
- He and his wife Kittie reared a family of eight, five boys and three girls.
- 1.1A group or unit of eight people or things: the win placed Canada closer to the final eightMore example sentences
octet, eightsome, octuplets; Poetry octrain, octameter; Music octuplet, octave• technical octad• rare ogdoad, octarchy
- Byron now move into the final eight where they will face Woodburn.
- Both Ivanovic and Evans were not part of the final eight last year.
- As the old saying goes ‘it's all on the day’ and the final eight will all hold high hopes of going all the way.
- 1.2Eight years old: children as young as eightMore example sentences
- Aisling Young is eight, made her First Holy Communion in May and her granny plaited her hair for the occasion.
- He has a great interest in collecting things, like any young boy of eight, and has a collection of model dinosaurs.
- The first category comprised young music lovers between the age of eight and 15.
- 1.3Eight o’clock: in time for dinner at eightMore example sentences
- Broadcast live on national TV, it begins at around eight in the morning and goes on until near mid-day.
- I wake up each morning around eight.
- Well that was no surprise it was only eight in the morning.
- 1.4 short for figure eight.
- 1.5A size of garment or other merchandise denoted by eight.More example sentences
- When they say ‘slim white jeans’ they mean 5 foot ten and a size eight or under.
- And in some high street stores where the clothes are all one size it is difficult to get into anything if you are over a size eight or 10.
- I want to be able to go into a shop and buy a size eight.
- 1.6A playing card with eight pips.More example sentences
- Some players use jacks or aces rather than eights as the cards which have the power to change suit.
- When an eight is played the player must call the suit for the next player.
- If a player's only card is an eight, s/he cannot play it and is forced to draw a card that turn.
- 1.7An eight-oared rowboat or its crew.More example sentences
- These 54 athletes had waited all week to contend the eight and the field was impressive.
- They competed in their country's quad last year but are back leading the eight.
- This is up an improvement on Sydney when neither the men's nor women's eight qualified.
Old English ehta, eahta, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch and German acht, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin octo and Greek oktō.