noun (plural elderberries)
1The bluish-black or red berry of the elder, used especially for making jelly or wine.
- There were also dried berries, possibly elderberries and blueberries, and a type of root.
- The most familiar use of the elder tree is probably that of the berries being cooked to make elderberry wine and various jams and jellies.
- Wild fruit jellies, such as elderberry, rowanberry, sloe or crab apple, also make a great accompaniment.
1.1An elder tree or shrub.
- Some popular small trees and shrubs with birds are: blueberries, elderberries, hollies, cherries, and dogwoods.
- Red willow, arroyo willow, elderberry, and McDonald oak are present in the tree and shrub layers.
- Each bed is edged with overlapping hoops formed from small cuttings of apple, elderberry and pear trees.
Definition of elderberry in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.