Definition of electrify in English:
verb (electrifies, electrifying, electrified)[with object]
1Charge with electricity; pass an electric current through: (as adjective electrified) an electrified fence
More example sentences
- Construction of the four-and-a-half mile timber and wire fence and an inner electrified fence will begin in April, according to the project manager.
- We were told there would be a romper room, but it seems there are only dangerous, mined areas and electrified chain fences where kids could easily injure themselves on flying shrapnel.
- Well at least they knew the fence wasn't electrified.
1.1Convert (a machine or system, especially a railroad line) to the use of electrical power.
- When the lines were electrified, great care was taken to minimise the negative aesthetic impact of overhead wires and line poles.
- He added: ‘It is now coming home that the Glasgow to Edinburgh route will never be anything more than a ‘touch and go’ service until the line is fully electrified.’
- The company concedes that the present timetable, which was set out when the system was electrified in 1967, cannot cope with increasing passenger numbers.
2 (often as adjective electrifying) Impress greatly; thrill: an electrifying performance
More example sentences
- The thinking behind the move was that it would electrify voters with a charge of democratic zeal, and translate into 60 per cent voter turnout.
- This ensemble electrifies the concert stage with their combination of technical virtuosity, vivid artistic interpretation and contagious exuberance in performance.
- The crowd was electrified by what was arguably one of the best matches ever.
- Example sentences
- Most of the book and its novel material concern the encounter between rural electrifiers and farmers.
- The blood electrifier is a relatively simple multivibrator circuit that produces a square wave output at 3.92 Hz.
- Up to a Five KM Fence may Be Electrified with One Electrifier Unit.
Words that rhyme with electrifypetrify • gentrify • rarefy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan