Definition of electrolyte in English:
1A liquid or gel that contains ions and can be decomposed by electrolysis, e.g., that present in a battery.
- Primary alkaline batteries use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte.
- This electricity splits the water molecules in an electrolyte, producing hydrogen.
- Gold plating is done in much the same way, using a gold anode and an electrolyte containing gold cyanide, AuCN.
1.1 (usually electrolytes) Physiology The ionized or ionizable constituents of a living cell, blood, or other organic matter.
- This is an opportunity to take blood for checking full blood count, urea and electrolytes, blood group, and clotting screen.
- Proud to know how to handle oliguria in a baby, I checked his blood pressure and electrolytes.
- The white blood cell count and serum electrolytes were within normal ranges.
Definition of electrolyte in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan