Definition of electrolyze in English:
Subject to or treat by electrolysis: when you electrolyze water, it splits into hydrogen and oxygen
More example sentences
- The plan is to build several huge wind turbines that would produce electricity to electrolyse water and to liquefy the hydrogen for transport.
- The cartridge consisting of multiple mesh electrodes arranged transversely to imposed water flow electrolyzes passing water when energized.
- The substance being electrolyzed must be an electrolyte, a liquid that contains positive and negative ions and therefore is able to conduct electricity.
- Example sentences
- With state-of-the-art electrolyzers, about 55 kWh will be needed to manufacture the energy content of a gallon of gasoline in the form of gaseous hydrogen.
- The hydrogen electrolyzer, a long-lived fuel cell, and fuel-tank technology are not fully developed.
- Solar panels and wind generators also deliver electricity to power the electrolyzer, which can produce more hydrogen, whether the boat is underway, at dockside or even unattended on a mooring.
Mid 19th century: from electrolysis, on the pattern of analyze.
Definition of electrolyze in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.