Definition of electroscope in English:
An instrument for detecting and measuring electricity, especially as an indication of the ionization of air by radioactivity.
- This was used on his electroscopes and on his ionisation chambers for the work that he did with alpha particles.
- Consider a case in which the presence of an electrically charged body is determined by operations with an electroscope.
- After boiling it again, he measured the decay of the resulting radon gas with a gold leaf electroscope.
- Example sentences
- It is disclosed that aryl azo pyrazolones may be used as colorants in electroscopic toners.
- The electroscopic anomaly is characterized by the fact that charged electroscopes discharge more slowly inside than outside of the machine.
Definition of electroscope in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan