Definition of electroscope in English:
An instrument for detecting and measuring electricity, especially as an indication of the ionization of air by radioactivity.
- This was used on his electroscopes and on his ionisation chambers for the work that he did with alpha particles.
- Consider a case in which the presence of an electrically charged body is determined by operations with an electroscope.
- After boiling it again, he measured the decay of the resulting radon gas with a gold leaf electroscope.
- Example sentences
- It is disclosed that aryl azo pyrazolones may be used as colorants in electroscopic toners.
- The electroscopic anomaly is characterized by the fact that charged electroscopes discharge more slowly inside than outside of the machine.
Definition of electroscope in:
- British & World English dictionary