- A condition in which a limb or other part of the body becomes grossly enlarged due to obstruction of the lymphatic vessels, typically by the nematode parasites that cause filariasis.More example sentences
- Manson correctly surmised that chyluria and elephantiasis were manifestations of lymphatic obstruction by adult filarial worms.
- However, there are differences in the epidemiology and pathophysiology of elephantiasis and hydrocele.
- The irony in the Pacific Islands is that, though still beset by traditional tropical infections such as malaria, dengue fever, and elephantiasis, the new great killer is the combination of obesity, diabetes, and vascular disease.
mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek, from elephas, elephant- 'elephant' + -iasis.
More definitions of elephantiasisDefinition of elephantiasis in:
- The British & World English dictionary