- 1 (plural same or elks) North American A red deer of a large race native to North America. Also called wapiti.
- Cervus canadensis, family Cervidae
- 2 (Elk) (plural Elks) A member of a charitable fraternal organization, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.More example sentences
- She collected exactly $999.99 through a rapid succession of phone calls to fellow Elks members.
- Someone booked them for a party held annually at a local Elks club, most of whose members are retirees and older yuppies with children.
- We want to be just like the Elks Club, only no funny hats, and we don't want to be 60.
late 15th century: probably from Old English elh, eolh, with substitution of k for h. Other words that have undergone this change are dialect selk (Old English seolh 'seal') and fark (Old English færh 'farrow').
More definitions of elkDefinition of elk in:
- The British & World English dictionary