A three-dimensional figure whose plane sections are ellipses or circles.
More example sentences
- It was found that the maximum total force is experienced when the major axis of the ellipsoid is perpendicular to the flow and the minimum when it is aligned.
- He gave a proof of a result due to Maclaurin, that the attractions at an external point lying on the principal axis of two confocal ellipsoids was proportional to their masses.
- The shape of the red cell during the tank-tread motion resembles a triaxial ellipsoid with the longest axis almost parallel to the direction of the undisturbed flow.
- More example sentences
- The particles may have any shape or size, but they are generally spherical, ellipsoidal, polyhedral, or irregular in shape.
- The oil-bearing fluid inclusion morphologies include spherical, oval, ellipsoidal, lath-like and irregular shapes, although there is no obvious relationship between inclusion morphology and quartz cement history.
- A primary concave parabolic mirror converges the light to one focus of a concave ellipsoidal mirror.
Pronunciation: /ilipˈsoidl, ˌelip-/adjective
Definition of ellipsoid in:
- The British & World English dictionary