Definition of ellipsoid in English:
A three-dimensional figure whose plane sections are ellipses or circles.
- It was found that the maximum total force is experienced when the major axis of the ellipsoid is perpendicular to the flow and the minimum when it is aligned.
- He gave a proof of a result due to Maclaurin, that the attractions at an external point lying on the principal axis of two confocal ellipsoids was proportional to their masses.
- The shape of the red cell during the tank-tread motion resembles a triaxial ellipsoid with the longest axis almost parallel to the direction of the undisturbed flow.
- Example sentences
- The particles may have any shape or size, but they are generally spherical, ellipsoidal, polyhedral, or irregular in shape.
- The oil-bearing fluid inclusion morphologies include spherical, oval, ellipsoidal, lath-like and irregular shapes, although there is no obvious relationship between inclusion morphology and quartz cement history.
- A primary concave parabolic mirror converges the light to one focus of a concave ellipsoidal mirror.
Definition of ellipsoid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan