(also elm tree)
Definition of elm in English:
1A tall deciduous tree that typically has rough serrated leaves and propagates from root suckers.
- Genus Ulmus, family Ulmaceae: several species, including the English elm (U. procera) and the American elm (U. americana), now largely lost to Dutch Elm disease
- The flora is dominated by Sequoia, cypresses, elms, oaks, willows, and cottonwoods.
- See any elms or oak trees or other non-native species?
- Spanish chestnuts, sycamores, willows, elms and oaks, to name but a few, located in every county have been studied, measured and observed in an attempt to find the champion of champions.
1.1 (also elmwood) The wood of the elm tree.
- It also shows that they knew that of the native timbers British elm was a superior timber to British yew for making bows (the best yew for bows came from Scandinavia, Spain and Austria).
- Less dense woods like elm and even soft maple are abundant and make fine firewood as long as you're willing to make a few extra trips to the woodpile.
- The elegantly crafted table is constructed in English walnut with inlays of burr elm and satinwood stringing.
Definition of elm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan