- A young eel, especially when undergoing mass migration upriver from the sea.More example sentences
- Measures are now being taken to decrease the impact of fisheries on A. rostrata populations in the United States, such as more closely regulating harvesting of glass eels and elvers.
- In Cambray's freshwater fish surveys he met many farmers who have seen the little elvers and the large eels in their rivers and thought that the eels bred in the rivers.
- Countries which used to buy mature eels from suppliers like Crowell are now buying elvers to raise and breed themselves.
More definitions of elverDefinition of elver in:
- The British & World English dictionary