1Feeling or showing embarrassment: he became embarrassed at his own effusiveness an embarrassed silence
More example sentences
- It was used only by his closest friends who knew that whenever he was embarrassed or nervous, he would blush deeply and get a red nose.
- After an embarrassed silence, he added: ‘Granted, we didn't make much of a song and dance about that at the time.’
- Are they going to maintain an embarrassed silence?
mortified, red-faced, blushing, abashed, shamed, ashamed, shamefaced, humiliated, chagrined, awkward, self-conscious, uncomfortable, sheepish;
discomfited, disconcerted, upset, discomposed, flustered, agitated, distressed;
shy, bashful, tongue-tied
informal with egg on one's face, wishing the earth would swallow one up
1.1Having or showing financial difficulties.
- Financially embarrassed football club Leeds United still managed to help make three men among the highest earners in Yorkshire over the past 12 months.
- Although financially embarrassed owners prove inhumane, the text describes another type of master who is even more dangerous.
- Financially embarrassed Lazio need cash this summer to ease a growing crisis.
- Example sentences
- As I stood embarrassedly holding my trousers up, waiting for the security officer to place my belt on the conveyor belt, I saw the stocky man's face as he looked up from fastening his boots.
- She laughed embarrassedly and said: ‘I should not have done that, and politicians should not do it either.’
- Cassidy laughed and blushed embarrassedly and her cheeks flushed with a pretty pink glow ‘Man listen to me going on.’
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.