- The first were the scabini, officials with specific juridical competence, the second were the iudices, responsible for reproducing and emending juridical texts, and finally the custodians of the lay archives.
- Many modern editions, including the Oxford, take the view that the novel in part derives from the play, and use it to emend the defective quarto text.
- But the work shall not be wholly lost: for it will, as he believed, appear once more, in a new and more perfect edition, corrected and emended by another author.
- In 1969, Rolfe correctly emended the spellings of the archaeostracan families by inserting id before the familial suffix.
- The guest curator, John Ayers, has written an essay for the catalogue that emends flaws in dating and attribution erroneously accepted as the last word for decades.
- This arrangement was followed by Whittington in the Treatise, but was emended in 1963.
- Example sentences
- To say that a concept is "open" is to say that it is emendable.
- They were a product of their times, and philosophy, like science, is emendable.
- Example sentences
- The following sentence offends in another way and requires the hand of the emender as much as any passage in the original Greek.
- The emender changed the original a to e, though the e is still partially visible.
mend from Middle English:
Even though it is found slightly earlier, mend is thought to be a shortening of amend, which along with emend are recorded within a few years of each other. They all go back to Latin emendare ‘to free from faults, correct’.
Words that rhyme with emendamend, append, apprehend, ascend, attend, befriend, bend, blend, blende, commend, comprehend, condescend, contend, defriend, depend, end, expend, extend, fend, forfend, friend, impend, interdepend, lend, mend, misapprehend, misspend, offend, on-trend, Oostende, Ostend, perpend, portend, rend, reprehend, scrag-end, send, spend, subtend, suspend, tail end, tend, transcend, trend, underspend, unfriend, upend, vend, weekend, wend
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.