- (Of the former holder of an office, especially a college professor) having retired but allowed to retain their title as an honor: emeritus professor of microbiology [postpositive]: the gallery’s director emeritusMore example sentences
- During his travels, Holder, a professor emeritus at Illinois State University, painted what he saw.
- Hale is vice provost and professor emeritus at Ohio State University.
- Rogers held this post until he retired in 1986, when he became professor emeritus and remained at University College.
mid 18th century: from Latin, past participle of emereri 'earn one's discharge by service', from e- (variant of ex-) 'out of, from' + mereri 'earn'.
More definitions of emeritusDefinition of emeritus in:
- The British & World English dictionary