- The right of a government or its agent to expropriate private property for public use, with payment of compensation.More example sentences
- He is sponsoring legislation to restrict municipalities' rights to take property by eminent domain.
- In the personal property aspect, there was a recent court opinion that said that the government could by eminent domain take property from citizens for public use.
- The Kelo decision permitted the use of eminent domain for private development projects and has touched off a firestorm of protest throughout the country.
More definitions of eminent domainDefinition of eminent domain in:
- The British & World English dictionary