Definition of emir in English:
1A title of various Muslim (mainly Arab) rulers: the emir of Kuwait
More example sentences
- They selected various people and called them kings, emirs and sheikhs.
- The amir of Kuwait is not claiming to be a caliph!
- In 1999, the emir of Kuwait dissolved parliament and, along with a variety of other liberalizing measures, sought to grant women the right to vote by decree.
1.1 historical A Muslim (usually Arab) military commander or local chief.
- And there was absolutely strict obedience to the amir - or commander - of the overall operations.
- His family had been inducted into Mughal hierarchy as amirs (nobles).
- A hundred Mameluks under the command of an emir entered the castle to oversee the transfer.