Definition of emmer in English:
An old kind of Eurasian wheat with bearded ears and spikelets that each contain two grains, now grown mainly for fodder and breakfast cereals. Compare with einkorn, spelt2.
- Triticum dicoccum, family Gramineae
- Three species exist both as wild and domesticated wheats, einkorn, emmer, and breadwheat.
- Bread wheat was the accidental ‘unnatural’ crossing of einkorn and then emmer wheat with another species.
- Ancient or modern farmers have grown four wheat species: einkorn, emmer, timopheevi, and common (hexaploid, or bread) wheat.
Definition of emmer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia