Definition of emperor moth in English:
A large moth of the silkworm moth family with eyespots on all four wings.
- Saturnia and other genera, family Saturniidae: several species, in particular the common European S. pavonia
- The Peaks are also a stronghold for the striking green hairstreak butterfly and the emperor moth, which feeds on heather.
- The eggs are laid by a large and attractive moth, with a name to fit, the mopane emperor moth.
- Fried locusts were common before the advent of pesticides, and the brightly coloured mopane ‘worms’, which feed on the mopane tree, actually caterpillars of the emperor moth, are much eaten in season.
Definition of emperor moth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia