Definition of emphatically in English:
1In a forceful way.
- He is a man who speaks forcefully, emphatically and, yes, sometimes controversially from the pulpit at First Baptist Church.
- Both the District Court judge and the High Court judge emphatically stood behind the principle that the ability to pay money ought not to influence the outcome of the case.
- Tara, not wanting to let one of her hands go from her ears, started nodding emphatically to the door.
1.1 [as submodifier] Without doubt; clearly: Jane, though born in California, feels emphatically Canadian [sentence adverb]: Greg is emphatically not a slacker
More example sentences
- This was emphatically reinforced when we saw a demo behind closed doors and spoke with some of the developers in May.
- With huge square towers linked by thick walkways, it stands on a slight eminence and is emphatically hellish.
- At just a few months short of his 70th birthday, Caine is definitely and emphatically in fashion.
Definition of emphatically in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan