Definition of empire builder in English:
1A person who adds to or strengthens an empire.
- But the empire builder was Suppiluliumas, whose conquests are recorded by his son Mursilis II in histories entitled the ‘Deeds’ and ‘Ten-year Annals’.
- The founding of the town of Livingstone begins with the unrealised dream by the British empire builder, John Cecil Rhodes who hatched the idea of constructing a Cape Town to Cairo (C to C) railway to boost the fortunes of Britain.
- The plot of the novel is predictable: the repulsive and pitiable Eurasian, obstacle to true love and happiness, must die so that the virtuous Englishwoman and the virile empire builder can unite in a happy ending.
1.1A person who seeks more power, responsibility, or staff within an organization for the purposes of self-aggrandizement.
- However logical such deals may seem to the empire builders, they raise new questions about how much consolidation is too much.
- Vanderbilt was an empire builder, the first great corporate tycoon in American history.
- The empire builder is offering a stock swap deal, which puts our company under his control.
- Example sentences
- A desire for open markets isn't like the empire-building of old; it simply has the exact same effect.
- Hmm… expanding into the sports arena seems to be the empire-building of choice these days.
- The resulting international competition for trade subjected Asia to encroachment by the empire-building Europeans.
Definition of empire builder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India