- 1A person who adds to or strengthens an empire.More example sentences
- But the empire builder was Suppiluliumas, whose conquests are recorded by his son Mursilis II in histories entitled the ‘Deeds’ and ‘Ten-year Annals’.
- The founding of the town of Livingstone begins with the unrealised dream by the British empire builder, John Cecil Rhodes who hatched the idea of constructing a Cape Town to Cairo (C to C) railway to boost the fortunes of Britain.
- The plot of the novel is predictable: the repulsive and pitiable Eurasian, obstacle to true love and happiness, must die so that the virtuous Englishwoman and the virile empire builder can unite in a happy ending.
- 1.1A person who seeks more power, responsibility, or staff within an organization for the purposes of self-aggrandizement.More example sentences
- However logical such deals may seem to the empire builders, they raise new questions about how much consolidation is too much.
- Vanderbilt was an empire builder, the first great corporate tycoon in American history.
- The empire builder is offering a stock swap deal, which puts our company under his control.
- More example sentences
- A desire for open markets isn't like the empire-building of old; it simply has the exact same effect.
- Hmm… expanding into the sports arena seems to be the empire-building of choice these days.
- The resulting international competition for trade subjected Asia to encroachment by the empire-building Europeans.
More definitions of empire builderDefinition of empire builder in:
- The British & World English dictionary