Definition of emporium in English:
noun (plural emporiums or emporia /-ˈpôrēə/)
1A large retail store selling a wide variety of goods.
- Take the site of the Sogo Department Store, a high-end emporium that once sold everything from elegant kimonos to shockingly expensive packets of dried seaweed.
- Midtown gets mighty crowded, but it's the place to go for department stores and designer emporiums.
- This is primarily a family destination, as witnessed by the myriad small amusement parks and large shopping emporia selling beanie babies along the main strip.
1.1A business establishment that specializes in products or services on a large scale (often used for humorously formal effect): the world-famous food emporium you know those half-automated carwash emporia that advertise an “all-cloth wash?”
More example sentences
- After paying for my gas, I stand at my car for a moment and look up and down the street that is filled with every kind of junk food emporium you can think of, looking for a lit sign that might be calling my name.
- You stand paralyzed with indecision in the middle of the road as a member of the counter staff from each shop tries to stare you in to his/her take away food emporium.
- I'll have to investigate my local British food emporium next time I go to load up on kippers, proper bacon and so forth.
1.2 archaic A principal center of commerce; a market.
- Zanzibar is one of Dublin's premier cattle mart emporiums.
- The labor to create a commercial emporium required thousands of workers, who made Baltimore one of the new nation's most diverse, plebeian - and in the eyes of some, disorderly - cities.
- Edged by marble columns, the marble-floored space in the bank will retain some of the features of its banking past - the counters in the centre will remain, to be incorporated into the emporium.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia