Definition of enamel in English:
1An opaque or semitransparent glassy substance applied to metallic or other hard surfaces for ornament or as a protective coating.
- Bright impervious surfaces in plaster, white paint, vitreous enamel, glass or stainless steel are not just cleanable but seen to be clean.
- Creamy appliance wax can be used on painted surfaces for protection and ease of cleaning, but is not needed on porcelain enamel surfaces.
- Ting has used a range of materials including English bone china, glass, enamel and platinum.
1.1A work of art executed in enamel.
- Under his direction, wares in the style of the French renaissance Limoges enamels were executed.
- The plaque illustrated here may show the influence of Liomges enamels, demonstrating Rodin's interest in renaissance art.
- A panel painting might have a background of stamped, gilded gesso and enamels and precious stones in its frame.
1.2The hard glossy substance that covers the crown of a tooth.
- There are two parts to a tooth: the crown, which is covered by enamel and is the visible part of the tooth, and the root, which lies underneath the gums.
- The bacteria digest the carbohydrates in the food and produce acid, which dissolves the tooth's enamel and causes a cavity.
- Human teeth are made up of four different types of tissue: pulp, dentin, enamel, and cementum.
1.3 (also enamel paint) A paint that dries to give a smooth, hard coat.
- Sand, prime, and paint the chair using two or more coats of semigloss latex enamel paint.
- Remove wallpaper and install tile, or paint walls with mold-resistant enamel paint.
- Evidence of her home-grown methods can be found in the alligatored texture of some of her pieces, where she may have layered enamel paint before the undercoat dried.
verb (enamels, enameling, enameled ; British enamels, enamelling, enamelled)[with object] (often as adjective enameled) Back to top
1Coat or decorate (a metallic or hard object) with enamel: an enameled roasting pan
More example sentences
- Mothers or older sisters will love the pretty enamelled jewellery from Les Nereides.
- Templar links to the local area have been found at the Old Church in Maghera where a bronze enamelled plaque was found in the graveyard.
- I make enamelled jewellery and run the shop from which it is sold.
- Example sentences
- I'm one of a small group of full-time enamellers working in Ireland today.
- Since then I have worked with one of the best enamellers in the country, and have taken over the workshop where I began my career.
- However, often engravers’ and enamellers ' signatures do appear.
Words that rhyme with enamelcamel, entrammel, mammal, trammel
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.